The Bookstores cheerfully accept:
- Paperback and hardback books in good condition
- DVDs, CDs, and audio books on CD in good condition
- Textbooks and complete encyclopedias published within the last 3 years
- Maps, pamphlets, and other ephemera
The Bookstores cannot accept:
- Mildewed, moldy, smelly, water-damaged, badly-worn, or yellowed items
- Books with torn-off or badly tattered covers
- Books with extensive underlining
- Textbooks more than 3 years old (unless they’re really old and interesting)
- Computer, medical, legal, health, travel, or business books more than 3 years old
- Magazines, professional journals, catalogs or directories
- Phonograph records, audio cassettes, or books on tape
- Encyclopedias, Reader’s Digest Books, Advance Readers Copies, or incomplete sets of older books
- Computer software
- Video tapes (VHS) or home-recorded media
- Large donations of foreign language books (please call for details)
Just a reminder:
- We run a used bookstore, selling used books at ridiculously low prices.
- We are not running a thrift store or a recycling site.
- We gratefully welcome donations of your re-sellable books.
- Bring donated items to either of the Friends’ bookstores during the stores’ open hours.
- Larger donations should be in bags or boxes.
- We issue donation receipts for tax purposes at the time of delivery. Donors are responsible for placing a value on noncash goods.
- If you need assistance, contact the store directly in advance of your visit. Call 510-841-5604 and talk to a volunteer or leave a message.
Need to schedule a pickup of donations?
Call 510-841-5604 and talk to a volunteer or leave a message. We will return your call so that you can arrange a pickup with our driver.