The Friends of the Berkeley Public Library is a 501(c)(3) California nonprofit organization whose purpose is to support and expand the educational, cultural, and outreach programs of the Berkeley Public Library. The Friends work with Library staff to build collections, support programming, and stimulate interest in the Library.
The Friends’ federal tax ID number is 51-0193030.
What the Friends do:
Money raised by the Friends helps pay for many of the events at the Berkeley Public Library.
- Children’s programming in the libraries, including the Summer Reading Program, puppet shows, craft programs, and storytellers
- Teen programming and book clubs
- Adult programming including author talks, poetry readings, Berkeley history lectures, and lunchtime concerts
- The adult literacy program, Berkeley Reads
- Staff acknowledgement through library school scholarships and service awards
How the Friends raise money:
- Sales in two used bookstores
- Membership dues and donations
- Special book sales at community-wide events
- Online booksales through our Amazon online sales site
View the latest edition of the the Friends’ Newsletter: Berkeley Bookmark Fall 2017
Questions? Contact us at 510-981-6152 or email@example.com
Board of Directors
The Friends of the Berkeley Public Library is governed by a Board of Directors which meets monthly. Dates below indicate beginning of Board service.
- President: Sandy Bails (2012)
- Vice President: Rosemary Hardy (2014)
- Treasurer: Kristin Stromberg (2016)
- Recording Secretary: TBA
- Directors-at-large: Bob Baty (2013), Claudia Berger (2015), Lucia Blakeslee (2014), Jeri Ewart (2017), Andrea Foley (2015), Judith Justice (2013), Peggy Kirihara (2014), Toni Klassen (2014), Harry Robertson (2017), Yvonne Shawver (2015), Margi Stromberg (2017), Marilyn Willats (2016)
- Advisory Committee Chairs/Coordinators: Publicity – Andrea Foley; Scholarship – Judith Justice; Volunteers – Lucia Blakeslee
- Bookmark Editor, Sayre Van Young, ex officio
- Membership, Mara Melandry, ex officio
PROUD member of the Northern California Independent Booksellers Association
Berkeley Public Library Website >
Berkeley Public Library Foundation Website >